Skip to main content

What's in a name?


Silly as it seems, I am very particular about the way my name is spelt. For reasons unknown, my name has always been worded as Bineeta with an emphasis on the double “e” after the “n”. I never quite took to the idea of adopting the regular Binita like other Nepali girls who share the name with me. I say Nepali girls because Indians prefer to write theirs as Vinita, which I am not doing in a hundred years (no offence intended).

I have never really fancied my name. Not because it is a commonplace, but because I am too proud a person to think I was consigned the name merely because it went well with my brother’s own. (Speak of sibling rivalry!) When we were children and not wise enough to say good from bad, my brother and I fought countless times, over just anything under the sun. Our fights usually ending in a tussle accompanied with scathing remarks. We would try our best to hurt each other, with words if not with physical prowess. And early on in our life, my brother knew very well that nothing offended me more than being bullied into believing that I was insignificant. So he would hurl disdainful remarks at me, belittling me at every opportune moment. (I was no less violent myself. Remember, we were but just kids.) 

It was during one of those wars of words when he said he was the “big brother” who got all the new books, new toys, new shoes and uniforms and dresses… while me? I was the “younger one”, the one who had to make do with all his give-aways, the left-overs and last but the most humiliating fact that I owed my very name to him. Had his name been something else, I wouldn’t have had the privilege of being addressed the way I am today, or so he said.  “How degrading,” I thought at the time, stomping all the way to my parents, tears leaking down my face. “I want a name change,” I had demanded.  Of course, my demand went futile and it took a long while for me to come to terms with my name. But other than that I have absolutely no issues with it, save for the spelling.

Many a time people would write my name the wrong way, and over the years, I had trained myself to let go of it. I had stopped rebuking them and correcting them. So when I came to Canada about a year ago, it came as a pleasant surprise to me that I had to put absolutely zero effort to get my name spelled correctly. All because it was an alien appellation to my foreign friends and they didn’t want to run the risk of offending me. How nice of them, I thought. You must think I wouldn’t have been happier, but no, I miss my misspelt name. Binita gives me the feeling of being home among my people. But at home or away, these days, I take comfort in knowing that it’s the substance that matters and not the name you give to it like Shakespeare rightly said, “What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Comments

  1. :-)
    Ur write brought many of the memories back to me :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I can't imagine u becoming anything like Vinita or Binita, Bineeta sounds like you! and apologies if i misspelled you before! :d

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never liked my name too as its too common wherever I go there would always be atleast another one in the same class.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How women ended up bleeding in the cattle-shed.

I recently happened to read an interesting blog post  (DO READ IT) , by a friend, on the origin of  Chaupadi pratha in Nepal.  He argued how some "smart-minds" tried to rule over the rest of the "not-so-smart" people in our society by creating a set of rules which ultimately had women at the receiving end. His arguments were very reasonable and convincing. However, I didn't want to entirely blame it on the "smart-minds" that created these rules. In fact, deep down I believe that the followers, the "not-so-smart " lot, were too dumb to come out of their dumbness, their blind faiths and primitive minds. In this post, I have tried to explore the science behind this practice.  Chaupadi pratha   is a system in which a woman is kept away from the house (kitchen- in case of urban societies probably due to limited space/money to construct a separate house); and is instead forced to stay inside a cattle shed during her menstruation. During thi...

Defining objectivity through a feminist lens.

What sets feminist research apart from research in mainstream positivist science? In this blog I will explore epistemological issues involved in conducting feminist research. In the interest of brevity, I will focus on feminist objectivity. Positivistic research paradigm views scientific inquiry as a rational activity and therefore the term “objectivity” indicates an absolute, perspective-neutral, view of the world. The positivistic notion adopts a dualistic approach in contrasting objectivity with subjectivity. Subjectivity is viewed as allowing attachment of individual or group interpretations while generating knowledge, which lends bias to the process of inquiry. In simple words, objectivity is defined as “the view from nowhere”. Rationality and neutrality are two important aspects of objectivity. This definition of objectivity has been criticized by different feminist epistemologies. One common criticism leveled against this concept by all feminist philosophers of sc...

Random thoughts on a cold autumn afternoon.

Sometimes you find no purpose in life. No strong motivation to hold on to your existence. Outside the window, summer has shut its door on your face and you don't like the ever transient autumn clouds. Winter is far but too scary even in imagination. Why in winter, does the tree disown its pretty leaves? To create a sorry spectacle for onlookers passing by? You would rather cling on to summer, lush with love. But all you have left is the last of its sunshine coursing your veins. You hate to admit it but you don't like impermanence, the ultimate truth of life. Sometimes you get carried away in your train of thoughts. To worlds that never existed, and deep green oceans that never ceased producing giant waves. There you permit your thoughts to rise and settle, without any restraint, just like the waves in the ocean. But you tell yourself not to indulge it, not to give into it, for you are not allowed to follow your thoughts or invite them. You need to be like the green o...