Last December, just before the
holidays started, my professor asked me if I celebrated Christmas. Before I
could answer she added what religion I practiced. I was dumbfounded for a
while. Perhaps unable to decide if I should say I am a Hindu or a Buddhist.
It wasn't the first time I was confronted about my religious orientation. Yet every
time the question hits me, I find myself unable to give a clear answer.
The Hindu
in me
When I was growing up, Dashain
used to be the biggest festival we celebrated at home. It still is. On
Tika day, we would have my phupus and kancha buwa come over to our place along with their families. More
than the blessings, we-
the kids- were excited about dakshina. Right after the tika ceremony we would dash off to Gaauri ko
pasal, which remained open even on tika
day to buy titauras. I remember mom
telling us not to wash away the red on our forehead until the next day. We
always wondered why.
So we celebrated Dashain and I
thought that made me Hindu. But it
soon dawned upon me that Dashain was more of a cultural heritage than a religious
one in Nepal. Everybody in the country celebrated Dashain; well, at least until
a few years ago before some Janajati leaders decided it wasn't "our" festival
and urged all Janajatis to stop celebrating it. Strangely, my family hasn't given it up. We still have our family gatherings with red tika and green jamara
very much in the picture.
But Dashain wasn't the only reason
that made me feel I was a Hindu. At home we observed most if not all occasions in the Hindu calendar. Mom being the religious person that she is,
made sure we didn't miss a single holy day. I am not as
religious as her so I don't bother remembering all of them. However, I do
remember my brother and me fighting over reading Swasthani in the cold winter evenings. Both of us would take turns
to read lines from the book as fast as we could, trying to outdo each
other so we could impress dad. On Saraswati puja, mom made us spend the whole day studying so we don't run short of bidhya and buddhi. In
Tihar, amidst all the lights and music and celebration, I particularly enjoyed
Bhaitika, when my brother would reluctantly give me money (which of course was
given to him by mom) and would be forced to bow down to me. I couldn't feel more
important. Then there was Shivaratri and Teej and Holi and so on. I remember, on Janai Purnima, the pandit bajey would come to our house to
tie the holy thread around our wrist. One Janai Purnima he sent his grandson. I remember mom's disappointed tone, "Aaja ta sano bajey po aunu bhayechha." Little did she know the same sano
bajey would be doing the honors in the years following.
It wasn't just the festivals. My mom's religious tendencies made me surer of my Hindu disposition. Her days began with worshiping
the idols of Gods and Goddesses in our wee little puja room. The ringing of the bell as she wrapped up her puja would act as our
wake up alarm. And much to our annoyance she would force the red tika on our forehead before we could eat breakfast. Thankfully, she later switched to Bibhuti which didn't stay on the skin for long and wasn't very obvious.
Mom's frequent visits to the cheena herauney guru had made her a bit of an expert in such matters. She would fast
on Saturdays to pacify Shani- the black God who showed no mercy on wrong doers.
Another fast on Tuesdays to appease Ganesh whose laddus I always envied. And after the guru portended some imminent misfortune,
she started fasting on Purnimas too. It
was only when the doctors advised against her fasting habit which was telling upon her
health, that she decided to put an end to it. During the fast-ending ceremony, sangay garney as they say, I was
immensely surprised when I saw the amount of coins she had worshiped over the
years every full moon day.
At home I grew up listening to
tales from Ramayan and Mahabharat, not to forget Akbar and Birbal. The Indian
TV serials only made it easier on my imagination. At school the textbooks read,
"Nepal is the only Hindu kingdom in the world." Those were the days
when the king was very much the head of the country and was considered to be
the incarnation of Bishnu, one of the 3 main Hindu Gods. The phrase,
"Hindu Kingdom" was a confirmation that I was a Hindu because I
belonged here.
My Buddhist
roots
My first realization of my
Buddhist roots came in a rather unceremonious manner when I was in the 6th standard.
It was the year when my grandmother who had been ailing for a while, passed
away one fateful morning. In no time the house was teeming with relatives- close and distant; many of whom I had never heard of in my entire life. They
took her dead body to the aryaghat in
Pashupati. When dad came home, he had his head shaven and arrangements were
made in the house to make room for the kriya
basney ritual. Remotely
in my mind, I was aware of these rituals. The real blow came when the phone
bell rang. The caller on the phone wanted to know where and when the simeki and arghu were to be held. These were new vocabularies for me. I was left clueless. Mom later told me they
were rituals practiced on the 3rd and 13th day of the death.
Having spent a good part of my
childhood in boarding school I had little interaction
with my relatives most of whom lived out of the valley. I had not been to any gathering of this kind and was oblivious of such practices. I was also unaware about the lama priests coming to our home occasionally to do pujas because they never came when I was
home. It took my grandmother's death for me to realize that most of the rituals related to death performed in my community were strikingly different from
those practiced in Hindu community.
A year later when I went to my
cousin's marriage, the first one I had ever attended, I discovered that
marriage rituals in the Gurung community were also very different from those in
Hindu culture. From what I had gathered from TV and books, I thought marriage ritual was not complete until the groom adorned the partition on
the bride's head with vermilion powder (sindoor). Until the mangal sutra hung around the bride's neck. Until
the bride and the groom took 7 rounds around the holy fire. At the marriage, I
saw nothing of the kind. I was hugely disappointed. To my surprise, I did see the bahun bajey
doing graha shanti earlier in the morning. Only after he left, the lama priest took charge of the ritual in a very Buddhist fashion.
Sometimes later I remember asking
my parents why we celebrated Hindu festivals and yet when it came to death,
birth and marriage rituals, we did something very unhindu. Perhaps more inclined
towards Buddhist culture. I wasn't sure if it was a Buddhist thing. I only
assumed so because of the involvement of lamas. Dad said he grew up celebrating Hindu festivals. He does not remember not celebrating them. Ditto for my mother. And the
answer was no different for why we followed Buddhist practices during the most
important events in our lives. Because it has been going on in the family/ community ever since they knew of it. I was not convinced.
What started as a self
realization at home only became more alarming after I went to college. For
some weird reasons we never discussed religion among friends in school. In
college it was a different story. In my hugely Chhetri-Bahun dominated circle
of friends they always assumed I was a Buddhist and therefore would/should know
little or even nothing about Hinduism. Whenever I said we celebrate Hindu
festivals they would look at me with surprise. When I recited Hindu shlokas
and mantras (thanks to my mother) they wouldn't believe their ears. And
when I told of mythologies of Hindu Gods and Goddesses they would be amazed.
For a while it kept me wondering if I was not supposed to know so much about
Hinduism.
What I have to say?
Often Hindu and Buddhist beliefs intermingle
at various points due to their common roots and these two religions have not been
observed as separate communions at least in Nepal. One simple evidence is the fact
that these religions share common deities and worshipping places. For
instance, both Hindus and Buddhists go to offer prayers at Swayambhu, Muktinath, Haleshi, Budhanilkantha and
Shani Mahankal temple to name a few. Hindus celebrate Buddha Jayanti and
Buddhists celebrate Hindu festivals. In Nepal
there are many people who live with this dual faith and to make a clear
demarcation between the 2 faiths is difficult. Why then do we feel the need to
tag each individual to one particular belief? Isn't it enough to say you
believe in God (that is if you do) and not have to say which God from which
religion in particular?
Today, after all these years, I
am still confused and fumbling for the right thing to say when somebody asks me
about my religion. When I have to fill in documents that require me to write my religion I think over a hundred times. Even then I find myself undecided. Should I write Hindu or Buddhist? How do I explain it to my Nepali
friends that I am as much Hindu as them and again as much Buddhist at the same
time. How do I make it clear to my non-Nepali friends that a Hindu in Nepal is
different from that in India and a Buddhist in Nepal is not the same as the one
from Japan. How do I explain to my western friends about the Hindu-Buddhist
syncretism that is so common in Nepal? How do I make it clear that I was brought up part Hindu and part Buddhist?
That day when I said I practice
both Hinduism and Buddhism, I wonder if my professor fully comprehended what I
meant.
As per your parents you clearly seem to be a Buddhist or were programmed to be one at least through your ancestral lines! However it is always wonderful for a Hindu like me to know how fondly you all celebrate Hindu festivals, remember the rituals and all but as you pointed out real test of religion comes during Death, Birth and Marriage like they are the main moments that symbolizes the modern Human Life, and when you abide by Buddhist ritual ( Maybe more of a Gurung type) different than that of a Hindu , you got to be a Buddhist with Gurung cultural inclination. At least, I get such impressions.
ReplyDeleteBut ya Bineeta, like when going gets tough you may remember Shiva as much as I do, and pray to Buddha as well that way you are now a acultured kid of God a great example for the segregated world of now and irony to what is happening to Nepalese of various ethnicity who are at cross roads regarding the affinity they have developed to Hinduism.
I too am doubtful, sometimes I feel the State sponsoring holidays at Hindu festival and investing in such events have affected the rituals of other ethnicity and moreover I don't know how quick did the Hindu Scholars portray Buddha as a incarnation of Lord Bishnu. That too looks like an interference by Hindu majority to the Buddhists in the Indian Sub COntinent, perhaps that effect of Hinduism diminishes when you move further up to Japan, China, Mongolia.
And ya when other ask you the question about your religion you probably are a Buddhist but different from the ones in Japan, China due to your ancestors and you leaving in a place where Hinduism and Buddhism are tied closely. In fact, Hindu consider Buddha as God, rather than (just assuming) any Buddhist scholar saying to me Bishnu's a God. It seems we as a Hindu are asked to follow Buddhism as per asked by our doctrines, but great of you the Gurungs, Rais and other ethnicity of Nepal they adopted Hindu rituals due to love for the culture , their friendliness and due to their big heart!
cut the crap ... u little ck scker.................... bini, ur are who u are and you like the wy that u are, and basically siddhartah gautam is the 11th incarnation of the so called great Vishnu.... n I think the ethinic hill indigineous..."tibeto-burmese" group were very late to catch on the "satatan bandwagon" and were caught in the frenzy of lamanic buddhiism much more successfully......but hey all this crap of history don't matter much....co we as nepali enjoy the way we live............ie... we love to see a tika on the forhear at the times of dashain, and also want the lamas to see our way through the death and birth rites.........................let just say ...CAUGHT INTHE CROSSFIRE......n loving it
Delete