Skip to main content

Christmas reminds me of Tihar...

Its December 21, and I can already sense the Christmas feeling. White snow, happy holidays, colorful gifts, Christmas lunches, and bright lights...This is my first Christmas in a western country, away from home. I am not a Christian but am definitely enjoying this festivity around me. And, why not? The elaborate decorations with lights brightening the neighborhood reminds me of Tihar, the festival of lights. 

Back home, Tihar was one festival I could never get enough of. There was a lot of things I enjoyed about it. Break from school was one of them, of course. But more than that, the brightly lit autumn evenings with deusi-bhailo songs reverberating from every possible direction, filled me with such joy. Watching mom make sel rotis, helping dai fill up the palas with oil for burning in the evening, learning card games with dad, going out to play bhailo with friends in the evening and so many more fond memories. 

I remember the first time I went to play bhailo with my friends. It was 1992. I was barely seven at the time. On learning that kids in my neighborhood, all my size and age, were planning to go play bhailo, I immediately asked mom to let me join them. Of course she wouldn't let me go, being the concerned mom that she was. But after a good deal of convincing, mom finally agreed. So at 4 in the evening I set out with my band of friends. There were about ten of us. 

We would go from house to house and shop to shop. There was this particularly smart boy who took lead of all the bhatyauney stuff. The rest of us would follow him singing on top of our voice. And when the singing was done, the house lady would give us some money, often accompanied with fruits and sel rotis..... Our eyes glowed and grew bigger every time we received a 5 rupee note. We would exchange secret glances and try to hide our excitement. Silently, at the back of my mind I would start calculating how much money we had made. The very thought of earning money, and giving it to my parents for all the right reasons, made me feel so grown up and so responsible all of a sudden. That was one of the happiest evenings of my life.

To this day, when I think of Tihar, that particular evening comes to my mind. And right now when I say that this Christmas feeling is giving me goosebumps, believe you me, its because it takes me back to that autumn evening of 1992 :-)
Merry Christmas and happy holidays!!
-Bineeta


Comments

  1. it was refreshing learning of such memory! Happy Christmas and enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much,and warm greetings to you too. Plus happy new year 2013 in advance :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How women ended up bleeding in the cattle-shed.

I recently happened to read an interesting blog post  (DO READ IT) , by a friend, on the origin of  Chaupadi pratha in Nepal.  He argued how some "smart-minds" tried to rule over the rest of the "not-so-smart" people in our society by creating a set of rules which ultimately had women at the receiving end. His arguments were very reasonable and convincing. However, I didn't want to entirely blame it on the "smart-minds" that created these rules. In fact, deep down I believe that the followers, the "not-so-smart " lot, were too dumb to come out of their dumbness, their blind faiths and primitive minds. In this post, I have tried to explore the science behind this practice.  Chaupadi pratha   is a system in which a woman is kept away from the house (kitchen- in case of urban societies probably due to limited space/money to construct a separate house); and is instead forced to stay inside a cattle shed during her menstruation. During thi...

Defining objectivity through a feminist lens.

What sets feminist research apart from research in mainstream positivist science? In this blog I will explore epistemological issues involved in conducting feminist research. In the interest of brevity, I will focus on feminist objectivity. Positivistic research paradigm views scientific inquiry as a rational activity and therefore the term “objectivity” indicates an absolute, perspective-neutral, view of the world. The positivistic notion adopts a dualistic approach in contrasting objectivity with subjectivity. Subjectivity is viewed as allowing attachment of individual or group interpretations while generating knowledge, which lends bias to the process of inquiry. In simple words, objectivity is defined as “the view from nowhere”. Rationality and neutrality are two important aspects of objectivity. This definition of objectivity has been criticized by different feminist epistemologies. One common criticism leveled against this concept by all feminist philosophers of sc...

Random thoughts on a cold autumn afternoon.

Sometimes you find no purpose in life. No strong motivation to hold on to your existence. Outside the window, summer has shut its door on your face and you don't like the ever transient autumn clouds. Winter is far but too scary even in imagination. Why in winter, does the tree disown its pretty leaves? To create a sorry spectacle for onlookers passing by? You would rather cling on to summer, lush with love. But all you have left is the last of its sunshine coursing your veins. You hate to admit it but you don't like impermanence, the ultimate truth of life. Sometimes you get carried away in your train of thoughts. To worlds that never existed, and deep green oceans that never ceased producing giant waves. There you permit your thoughts to rise and settle, without any restraint, just like the waves in the ocean. But you tell yourself not to indulge it, not to give into it, for you are not allowed to follow your thoughts or invite them. You need to be like the green o...