As misleading as the title might sound, I am here, fit as a fiddle,writing these words on the eve of my statistics mid-term exam. Somebody (I can't remember the name) has rightly said that the purpose of exams is not to test how much one has memorized;but to test how much one has learned to solve problem(s).
Having come from an educational culture where I spent most of my life mugging up just about everything in text books, I am so looking forward to this new (at least for me) system in the west. An open-book exam. No more rote learning and cramming over text books. I can sleep with a light head tonight :)
I recently happened to read an interesting blog post (DO READ IT) , by a friend, on the origin of Chaupadi pratha in Nepal. He argued how some "smart-minds" tried to rule over the rest of the "not-so-smart" people in our society by creating a set of rules which ultimately had women at the receiving end. His arguments were very reasonable and convincing. However, I didn't want to entirely blame it on the "smart-minds" that created these rules. In fact, deep down I believe that the followers, the "not-so-smart " lot, were too dumb to come out of their dumbness, their blind faiths and primitive minds. In this post, I have tried to explore the science behind this practice. Chaupadi pratha is a system in which a woman is kept away from the house (kitchen- in case of urban societies probably due to limited space/money to construct a separate house); and is instead forced to stay inside a cattle shed during her menstruation. During thi...
You must have heard those inspiring words from Madhav Pandey sir during elective courses..coz many of us did..
ReplyDelete